I made cupcakes today! I know, totally unhealthy and very fattening, but I just felt like baking. I haven’t felt like baking in a while, so this is a good thing. I love to cook, so it was nice to be back at it.
I found the recipe for the cupcakes online, but I didn’t really follow the directions. I seem to have a hard time following directions when I cook. It’s not that I don’t understand them or anything like that. I just find that I like making things my own way. If it’s something that I’ve never done before and I don’t know what I’m doing, I’ll follow the directions to a T, but if I’m familiar with it, I just do my own thing. Like today. I used the ingredient list, but then I just threw it all together in a bowl instead of following the intricate directions of mixing a few things here, beating together a few things there, slowly mixing and alternating these other ingredients. Give me a break. I can throw it all together in one bowl, mix it all at once and save about 20 minutes of annoyance and hassle. So, here is my version of the recipe:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients
- Mix well.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full (about 1/4-1/2 cup batter)
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick (or knife) inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- 2 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Mix until smooth
- If necessary, adjust consistency with more milk or sugar.